Neurology Update 2014
Saturday, November 15, 2014
Overland Park Marriott
Overland Park, KS 66210
Sponsored by the University of Kansas Medical Center Department of Neurology and Department of Continuing Education and Professional Development
Neurology Update is presented by academic-affiliated physicians and provides an up to date review of clinical issues related to neuromuscular disease, stroke, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, sport concussion, medical marijuana and brain localization.
This program is designed for neurologists.
After this program, participants should be able to:
- Provide risk and management information regarding sports concussion, understand diagnostic tools and assessment and develop individualized management plans.
- Discuss the epidemiology and risk factors for epilepsy and review the appropriate diagnostic evaluation and current management strategies.
- Review current concepts of multiple sclerosis pathogenesis and evaluate the current treatment options.
- Evaluate conservative measures to improve acute stroke outcome and discuss the latest data on intravenous thrombolysis and intra-arterial interventions.
- Recognize the patterns of clinical presentation for muscle and nerve disease and determine the most appropriate tests and treatment based on the patterns.
- Identify appropriate laboratory testing for peripheral neuropathies and disorders of the anterior cell, neuromuscular junction and muscle.
- Evaluate the future treatment options for Parkinson’s disease and how they would be used with the current treatments.
- Review current concepts of brain localization in language disorders and cognitive motor control and review the empiric studies related to brain injury.
- Discuss the neuropharmacology and neurophysiology of cannabinoids and their receptors, the results of use in various neurological conditions and potential side effects.